ALTAR SONGS: VERSES ON THE HOLY EUCHARIST
Second Edition, Enlarged
William Chatterton Dix, 1868.
Here are William Chatterton Dix’s Dedication and Prefaces to the Second Edition:
DEDICATED TO THE MEMBERS OF THE CONFRATERNITY OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT OF THE BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST.
This little book of Verses is intended for the use of those who believe in, revere and love the Doctrine of the Real Presence. It is offered to them, in the hope that its use may supplement that of other more pretending and more valuable works on the same Verity.
But should it fall into the hands of any who maintain, however sincerely, the only other theory tenable on this Mystery, viz: the Real Absence, is it too much to hope, that, at least, some may be led from these pages to others, until at last they accept the true belief—the’ Doctrine of the Holy Catholic Church, once for all delivered?
W. C. D.
Feast of Corpus Christ’, 1867.
NOTICE TO SECOND EDITION.
A call having been made for a second edition of these Verses, they are now put forth in an improved form.
W. C. D.
A GROUP OF COMMUNION HYMNS FOR THE CHRISTIAN YEAR.
1. Silence, Strange Sounds Are In The Earth (Advent – The Warning and the Invitation)
2. And Can It Be That God Is Born (Christmas – Knowing Him in the breaking of the Bread)
3. To Thine Altar’s Shadow Flying (Circumcision – The Morning Sacrifice)
4. Who Will Lead Me To The Manger (Epiphany – Christ Manifest at the Altar)
5. Saints Of Old Wrought Out Salvation (Lent and Passion-tide – The Journey to the Mount of God)
6. My Heart Her Alleluias Uplifts (Easter – Very early in the Morning)
7. Alleluia, Sing To Jesus (Ascension – Redemption by the Precious Blood)
8. When Erst The Holy Spirit (Whitsuntide – The Voice of The Beloved)
9. O Trinity, Most Dread, Most Great (Trinity-tide – A Door opened in Heaven)
10. Within The Temple’s Hallowed Courts (Festivals of the Blessed Virgin Mary – The Pure Offering)
11. Ten Thousand Saints Our Ours To-Day (Festivals – The Fellowship of All Saints)
DAY OF INSTITUTION.
12. Jesu, We Laud And Worship Thee (An Eucharistic Meditation)
13. Jesus, Who For Me Betrayed (In the Same Night)
14. Gold For The King Of Kings (Carol for The Midnight Mass)
15. Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread (Daily Bread)
16. Lift Up Your Songs, Ye Angel-Choirs (The Two Thrones)
17. Sweet Babe, To Thee Shall Prayer Be Made (The Adorable Sacrifice)
18. Through The Long Hidden Years (The Early Christian’s Eucharist)
CORPUS CHRISTI, OR EUCHARIST THURSDAY.
19. Jesus, True God, True Man, We Adore Thee (The House of Bread)
20. Jesus, Now We Greet Thee (The Tabernacle of God among Men)
21. Now, My Soul, Rehearse The Story (Bread in the Wilderness)
22. Here We Adore Thee, Jesus Christ Most Holy (Hymn in Adoration of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament)
23. Ring Out To-Day Your Joyous Notes (The Triumph of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament)
24. Members Of Christ, His Body, Flesh And Bones (Great is The Mystery – God Manifest in The Flesh)
25. The Harvest Moon Had Mounted High (A Dream of Harvest-Time)
26. Holy, Holy, Holy, To Thee Our Vows We Pay (Eucharistic Processional for Dedication Feast)
27. Jesus, We Call Thee To Our Wedding Feast (Holy Matrimony)
28. Peace To This House And All Within (The Communion of the Sick)
29. Where Rest All Holy Souls Is Known (Burial of the Dead)
30. Glad Sight The Angels See (First Communion)
31. Thou Who Of Old Didst Hush The Storm (Communion at Sea)
32. O Jesus, Bright And Morning Star (Foreign Missions)
33. Two Sticks – The Cross Of Jesus Christ (Which things are an Allegory)
34. First To The Womb Of Mary (The four Places of the Lord Jesus)
35. Sweetest King, Enshrined Within – (Thanksgiving after Communion)